This week we chat with Jaime, a high school English teacher who, as a daughter of educators, did not think she’d ever pursue this career. Listen as we discuss:
- How she went from a career in journalism to education
- Why teachers work so many more hours than they are contracted to work
- Her passion for writing and how she gets students to engage with classic literature
- The controversial lesson plan she’d like to teach
- How she is able to incorporate world travel into her job (and brings her students along!)
Follow up links:
Theme song - Jazz from the Kitchen by Nikitaka
RECIPE: Chicken Apple Brie Sandwich
1 red apple (of your choice)
1 Italian baguette
1 pair of bone-in chicken breasts
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 bag of arugula
1 wedge of brie
Salt and pepper
Cut the baguette into four sandwich-sized buns. Slice the bread open down the middle and lay "open" side down in the oven at 400 degrees. Toast for 2 minutes, then spread butter on the inside of each piece.
Heat a pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Add chicken breasts that have been seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook each side for 8 minutes, then transfer to a baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and cover in foil. Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes. Once rested, slice into thin-ish pieces.
Slice your brie into long slices about 1/2" thick. Slice the apple thinly. Layer on the arugula, apple, and then top with the chicken and finally the brie and other slice of bread. Serve with a side salad (we used Trader Joe's Broccoli Slaw). Enjoy!