This week we chat with Shannon, a behavioral health clinician, who recently received her Masters in Social Work and is very passionate about advocating for those in need. Listen as we discuss the following:
- How she decided a Masters in Social Work was the right career move
- Her thoughts on the misconceptions about mental illness
- The importance of social workers advocating for their clients, especially when they can’t advocate for themselves
- The difficulties of working within the “system” and how that can impact a client’s progress.
- What she learned from her thesis research regarding the correlation between support and eating pathologies in high school students
Follow up links:
National Eating Disorders Association (1-800-931-2237)
National Suicide Prevention Hotline (1-800-273-8255)
Shine Theory was referenced during this podcast and is a term coined by two brilliant babes, Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman. To learn more about their work, please see resources below:
Theme song - Jazz from the Kitchen by Nikitaka
RECIPE: Chick fil A Inspired Superfood Salad
2 bunches of kale (I used curly and lacinto)
1 large avocado
2 small containers of blueberries
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup pear vinaigrette (I used this one)
Remove the kale leaves from the stems. Bunch together and slice thinly (about 1/4" pieces). Add to a large bowl and sprinkle over the salt and olive oil. Massage through for about a minute.
Next, dice and spoon your avocado into the bowl as well as the blueberries, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds. Pour over the dressing and mix through. (Add more dressing if necessary.)
Let the salad sit for at least 10 minutes, and then serve and enjoy! This salad lasts in the fridge for about 24 hours (due to how sturdy the kale is). I haven't tested it longer because it's never lasted that long when I'm around! ;) Enjoy!